From Installer Deluxe Wiki - Auto Installer Deluxe, Softmod Installer Deluxe, XBMC Installer Deluxe, PSP Pandora Deluxe, PSP Installer Deluxe, HQ PC Essentials, AID, SID, XBMCID, PSPID, PPD - http://www.aideluxe.com
Table of Contents
Appendix B: Softmodding Tutorials
Hard Drive Upgrade using a Modchipped Xbox
- Hex Screwdriver Set
- A modded Xbox (chip)
- A softmodded Xbox with retail disk
- A bigger HDD
- FTP software (FlashFXP)
- EvoX dash (to make eeprom backup, install it on both Xboxes)
- Xbox-HQ Auto Installer Deluxe Disc.
- Config magic (install it on chipped and softmodded Xbox)
1. Use EvoX to make an eeprom backup from your chipped Xbox and the softmodded Xbox (you can install EvoX as a dashboard)
2. FTP the backup Eeproms to your PC, also transfer your C and E drive (softmodded Xbox) to your pc.
3. Put the big HDD you need to prepare in your chipped Xbox.
4. Run Xbox-Hq Auto Installer Deluxe Boot Disk and make the big HD ready. (Don’t forget to install Config magic on this HDD)
5. Open the Config magic folder and delete the contents in the data folder and transfer your backup of the C and E drive to the data folder.
6. Update your chipped Xbox eeprom from the bin file. (Eeprom backup from softmodded Xbox).
7. Reboot the Xbox and open Config magic and lock the HDD. (Now it's locked with the eeprom from the softmodded Xbox)
8. Turn off Xbox and remove the big HDD out the chipped Xbox.
9. Put it in the softmodded Xbox
Now, the HDD will work in the softmodded Xbox.
Optional if you play on live with your chipped Xbox
10. Run Config magic again on the chipped box and update eeprom. (This time with the eeprom backup from chipped Xbox). This will restore your chipped Xbox eeprom back to original.
Hard Drive Upgrade using a PC
- A PC, a blank CD-R/W and a CD Burner
- Torx 10 + Torx 20 Screwdrivers (to open your Xbox)
- A Large HDD
- XboxHDM 1.9
- FTP Program (FlashFXP)
- EvoX dash (can be installed as an app)
- DVD Decrypter
1. First make a backup from your retail disk (C, E drive and your eeprom), you can use EvoX to backup eeprom (eeprom backup can be found on E).
2. FTP your backup data to your PC using a FTP program.
3. Unpack XboxHDM onto your PC.
4. Put the eeprom backup in the xboxhdm\linux\eeprom folder, put C and E folder into the xboxhdm\linux folder and overwrite the ones already there.
5. In the root of xboxhdm is a file named 'make-iso-win', run this file and wait for it to finish.
6. It will make an .iso file. (You can burn this file with DVD Decrypter)
7. Take out all your hard disks in your PC and put the new hard disk (for the Xbox), make sure its primary master and first boot is CD-ROM.
8. Put the disk you made in the CD-ROM drive and boot your PC.
9. You will get a menu, now choose Option 1 (by typing “1”) and press enter to boot VGA console with Xbox-drive utilities (default). Type “xboxhd” when it asks you for a login. Another list of options will show up, choose option 1 again (the one that says “Build a new Xbox HD from scratch”) and it will begin to format and write the partition table etc. If you put your C:\ and E:\ onto the CD then when it asks you about them type yes and when it asks you if you would like an F select yes.
10. Reboot your PC (we are almost done)
11. Now for locking the hard drive. This time type “3” and hit enter to boot Linux with locking/unlocking utilities. Next, type in “lockhd –a”. It will now search for the eeprom on the CD and will automatically lock the hard drive. Now turn off the PC and take out the hard drive when it has finished locking. Put the disk in your softmodded Xbox.
You just upgraded your hard drive and can be used in your softmodded Xbox.
Hotswap Tutorial - Recover a HDD without Eeprom Backup
- A PC (remove all HDD's), blank CD-R/W and A CD Burner
- Torx 10 And Torx 20 Screwdrivers - To Open XBOX
- XboxHDM 1.9
- DVDdecryptor (or a CD/DVD Burning Program)
- C drive backup or latest MS dash
IMPORTANT: Make sure the Xbox and PC are close to each other
1. If you got a backup of your C you don't need to download latest MS Dash, if you don't have a backup download MS Dash and keep it ready on your PC.
2. Unpack xboxhdm onto your PC.
3. Put the MS Dash in the C folder into the xboxhdm\linux folder and overwrite the ones already there.
4. In the root of xboxhdm is a file named 'make-iso-win', run this file and wait for it to finish. It will make an .iso file.
5. Burn this file with DVD Decrypter, and leave the CD in the PC.
6. Unplug the Xbox DVD-ROM IDE cable, take the power cable off the DVD-ROM.
7. Turn on the PC, Before the PC BIOS looks for Hard Drives, hit the Pause/Break key. It should pause at this time.
8. Turn on the Xbox.
9. It will boot to an error code (#11) regarding the DVD-ROM, but the Hard Drive will be unlocked, this way you'll get xboxhdm to access it on first attempt
10. Hit space bar to continue booting the PC. If it takes a long time to boot (several minutes), then the HD has not been unlocked.
11. You will get a menu, now choose Option 1 (by typing ‘1’) and press enter to boot VGA console with Xbox-drive utilities (default). Type ‘xboxhd’ when it asks you for a login. Another list of options will show up, choose option 1 again (the one that says ‘Build a new Xbox HD from scratch’) and it will begin to format and write the partition table etc. when it asks you about C type yes and when it asks you if you would like an F select yes .
12. Power down PC and Xbox.
13. Put the Hard Drive back in the Xbox and boot.
PLEASE NOTE: If you get a message about a frozen drive, just disable auto detect for the drive (xboxhdm will detect the HDD even if it's disabled!)
Hard Drive Cloning using Chimp
- A Y power splitter (or use an external power source for the second HD, like another PC or external disk box etc.)
- Torx 10, 15, 20 Screwdrivers to open Xbox and replace the HD
- Chimp (installed as an app)
1. Open the box with the Torx 20 Screwdriver.
2. Use the Y splitter so both Hard Drives would have power when Xbox is on.
3. Loosen the DVD's IDE, but must still be bootable (it minimize the remove chance of IDE damaging as it is really not designed for hotplugging).
4. Boot Xbox.
5. Launch chimp.
6. Swap the IDE cable from DVD to the new HD.
7. Follow the menu (the first item must be run before others).
Xbox 1.6 problems?
If you have a 1.6 box and you can't see the Linux prog (graphics). In that case, you need to telnet into it, the menu will be same.